Searching for a way to spice up your Sunday family dinner? Look no further than California Tortilla at the Fairlakes Promenade Shopping Center in Fairfax, where a kid's meal is free with every adult meal combo all day on Sundays. We learned this fun fact from some family friends a few years ago and tonight, after some shopping (and a very long night before, with one sweet toddler waking up multiple times) we chose to let California Tortilla manage this week's Sunday dinner.
Don't expect gourmet burritos; the food is yummy but I think Chipotle boasts better flavors throughout its menu and I prefer their chips and rice. However, the portions are filling. I ordered the Veggie and Beans Quesadilla Combo (which includes a soda, chips and salsa or queso). I chose the salsa, which was fresh-tasting and mildly spicy. The Carnivore had a Shrimp Bowl Combo and chose the queso for his chips. He also a Chicken Tortilla Soup. The Little Ones each got "Kids-Adillas" with chicken on the side, normally priced at $5.49 each, for free. Their meals came with a drink (they chose boxed apple juice), chips and queso, and a dessert (either a brownie or a chocolate chip cookie). Our small table was crowded with food. The Carnivore attempted to take photos of everything with his smartphone but no luck.
Everyone was a bit sluggish from the heat and the previous night; the LOs did not eat as much as usual but the Carnivore and I ate almost all of our meals. I would have liked the option to add beans to the kids' quesadillas for more fiber; perhaps that is something I can request if we return on another lazy Sunday. The queso was really spicy; the LOs were gulping down their apple juice after every dip into the zesty cheese.
Service-wise, the food was prepared swiftly, and the employees were friendly and helpful, but the restaurant floor and tables were a bit dirty when we arrived (we ate earlier than usual, around 4:00 PM). About twenty minutes into our meal, an employee came through and cleaned off the tables, though.
I need sleep...so this review is short, but I'd recommend California Tortilla if for no other reason than free food is always appealing. The food is tasty and sometimes, it's nice to take a break from cooking and cleaning up afterwards. I am going to research other "kids eat free" promotions in the area (i.e. check them out when I lack the mental stamina to cook) and I've discovered a few websites with this information, including:
My Kids Eat Free
I Am Modern
Frugal Living TV
Some of the info seems outdated, so I'm continuing the search for a resource that provides comprehensive, up-to-date listings...no telling when the Littler One will spend the night torturing me again, rendering me helpless when it comes to dinnertime.

I'd really like to try that queso. Sounds delicious right now. Mmmm, spicy (I just got off work and am RAVENOUS). LOVE the name "kids-adilla." So cleva'!
ReplyDeleteIt was MUY spicy! A little too much for the kiddos but delicious for us grownups. ;)
ReplyDelete