1/20/12

It's Been a While...Kicking off a Healthy Year of Eating with Cookbooks

I haven't posted for a while, but trust me, much food has been consumed since the last post.  The Carnivore and I are actually on a healthy-eating kick since New Year's (we've been down this road before...) and we've been feeling very proud of ourselves.  We've planned out meals for the entire month, eliminated the junky, carby stuff we usually rely on (I'm trying to eat more tofu and less pasta), and have varied our meals to include lots of veggies and lean proteins.  Fortunately the LOs love most veggies and are willing to try many, if not all, of our experiments. 

My aunt (and godmother) bought me a book which has resulted in some fun cooking adventures with the LOs...The Whole Family Cookbook by Michelle Stern has inspired us to make our own hummus (I got a food processor from the Carnivore for Christmas!!), pesto, tofu dipping sauce, kale chips, Nutella lace cookies (for Nana), pancake mix (for Pa), and chicken piccata.  I love it so much I bought a copy for my fabulous locavore sister-in-law (haven't heard whether she likes it or not) and am excited to make additional recipes with the boys.

The Carnivore just purchased a Weight Watchers book:  One Pot Cookbook in the interest of stepping up our healhty eating game.  We're not following WW at the moment, even with the success we've had in the past, but instead are eating better and exercising more.  Still, we've loved our other WW cookbooks and find one-pot meals to be so convenient.  We're planning to make the Turkey Parmesan Meatball Escarole Soup next week.  It's one of many crockpot recipes that we'll try (or resurrect) in our quest for easy, health-conscious family meals.

We're also relying on a cookbook we've had for about a year: Cooking Light Complete Meals in Minutes.  Not only are the meals healthier versions of many classics, each recipe takes only 15, 20, or 30 minutes.  We've enjoyed the Polenta Gratin with Mushrooms and Fontina, Chicken Cacciatore, and Quick Fish Fillets. 

Here's to many more posts about our new healthy eating, with a little help from some great recipes and fun kitchen appliances.  Favorite healthy recipes are always welcomed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your comments here and happy eating!