2/20/12

It's Working...

I'm pleased to say that our healthy eating this year (all 1.5 months of 2012) is paying off.  The Carnivore has dropped about 20 pounds, at least, and I've lost almost 15 pounds.  Admittedly we both started much higher than either of us has ever been in our lives but still.  We're feeling good about the losses and hoping for more!!

We're not following any specific plan, but we are eating fewer carbs and more fruits and vegetables.  I've been writing everything I eat in a journal I got on sale at Barnes and Noble.  Even though I'm not calculating points as I did while on Weight Watchers, writing my meals down helps me stay accountable.   We allow ourselves "treats" if the occasion calls for it (tonight we had a sample of the cannolis our friend brought from New Jersey) but by mainly eating well, we're feeling much better about ourselves.  We've planned out meals for each month so far which has helped us avoid throwing together a dinner from whatever is available at the end of the day when we're tired and hungry.  It's a lot of work at the beginning of the month but it helps us eat a variety of healthy and tasty meals.

For example, this Weight Watcher's version of Chicken Cacciatore incorporates colorful vegetables with filling protein and minimal fat.  The Carnivore is a big fan of chicken cacciatore because it heats well as a leftover lunch.  He occasionally eats the spaghetti with it but finds it to be a hearty meal on its own.

I've made this dipping sauce from the Whole Family Cookbook several times now.  It's part of the Crispy Tofu Triangles recipe and while I haven't quite mastered making the tofu triangles very crispy, I love the dipping sauce as a fun way to enjoy tofu.  I do want to buy some low-sodium soy sauce for the next time I make it.

This is a Beef, Cheese and Noodle Casserole that the Carnivore LOVED.  It's from Weight Watcher's One Pot Cookbook (in this case, one casserole dish) and it reminded me of the hamburger/elbow macaroni dish my mom used to make us.  It was really easy to make and smelled delicious!

For me, I've made this recipe from a Cooking Light cookbook multiple times.  It's a Polenta Gratin with Mushrooms and Fontina and it is a truly yummy vegetarian dish.  The Carnivore even enjoys polenta made this way, so it's got to be good!!

Meanwhile, the Little Ones are sticking the basics.  The Bigger One is a bit more adventurous and willing to try a "thank you bite" of new dishes while the Littler One is stubbornly in that two-year-old mode of resistance to change.  He won't even eat pasta with tomato sauce.  He calls it "saucey pasta" and shuns it in favor of "buttery pasta".  I tell myself:  this is a phase, it's only a phase, but it is so hard not to force him to eat pasta with sauce.  After all, tomato sauce is healthier than butter or oil.  Fingers crossed the fruits and veggies he eats counterbalance the preference for fatty pasta toppings.

I'm excited to participate in a blogging networking event tomorrow night, sponsored by SuperNOVAmommy and the Real Housewives of Northern Virginia.  Not only is it an opportunity for mom bloggers to meet up, the proceeds go to a phenomenal charity called Mission Sleep.  This non-profit organization provides free, overnight newborn care to military spouses.  A wonderful idea to support families that are serving our country.

I've noticed that some of the recipe links I've included are from fabulous food blogs much fancier than this one...might be time to reevaluate my setup and learn to take more professional-looking photos.  I'll just add that to my to-do list...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your comments here and happy eating!