I swear I am not in cahoots with the author to promote her book. You've seen my blog. Do you think anyone's knocking on my door, looking to strike up a business deal? I guess I just like the simplicity of the recipes and the fact that many are flexible enough that we can modify them without messing up the taste. Her pesto recipe, for example, encourages readers to try spinach or sorrel leaves instead of basil. This is how I discovered that spinach pesto is actually really, really delicious.
Another thing I like about the cookbook is how she color-codes each step to indicate age group appropriateness. She's the reason I decided to let the LOs peel my garlic for me any time it appears in a recipe. Garlic-peeling is coded orange for 4- to 6- year-olds. Admittedly, the Littler One is a bit younger than this but he's managed just fine. And since peeling garlic feels like a really big and important step, they love it. Some steps are appropriate for toddlers, while others are better-suited for ages 11 and up. It's been a helpful way to explore new roles for the LOs in the kitchen that are safe and fun.
| Garlic peeling. I usually smash the clove with a knife so the peel releases a little. |
Tonight we used the cookbook as inspiration for taco salad. Here's her recipe:
Taco Salad from The Whole Family Cookbook by Michelle Stern
Ingredients:
1/2 cup salsa
1/3 cup sour cream, organic if possible [we used light sour cream]
3 cloves garlic [we used 4...we love garlic!]
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon canola oil [we used olive oil]
1 pound ground turkey
1 14-oz can of black beans [I forgot to get black beans, so we used kidney beans]
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped [we used the "squeezy" cilantro from the produce section]
8 cups shredded romaine lettuce [spinach!!]
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 large plum tomatoes [forgot to buy some]
Optional additions: corn, sliced black olives, and crumbled tortilla chips [we used all three!]
Measure and combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
Peel the paper skin from the garlic. Mash or press with a garlic press.
Peel the paper skin from the onion. Dice the onion.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. [My note: if you want your house to smell like you're an amazing chef, saute onions and garlic in oil. It starts any meal off right, in my opinion.]
Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
While the turkey cooks, drain the beans in a colander over the sink, and rinse thoroughly.
Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to the skillet with the turkey; cook, stirring, to heat through.
Remove from the heat.
Pour the beans, cilantro, and 1/2 cup of the salsa mixture into the skillet and stir gently.
In a large bowl, add lettuce and the remaining mixture into the skillet and stir gently.
In a large salad bowl, add lettuce and the remaining salsa mixture, tossing to coat.
Add the turkey mixture to the lettuce and toss to combine.
Sprinkle with cheese, diced tomatoes, and any optional ingredients your family enjoys.
| Crumbling the tortilla chips with a Ziploc bag and a hammer |
First of all, the Carnivore loved it. I forgot to add the salt and he said, and I quote: "It doesn't even need it."
This from a man who sprinkles salt on my dishes before he even tries them. We both thought the cumin/chili powder combo was a winner and he appreciated the opportunity to enjoy the taste of tacos without eating a lot of carbs.
| The Carnivore's version before the toppings |
I really enjoyed it, too. Of course, I reserved some of the salsa mixture and spinach (forgot to set aside some beans) and tossed it with Morningstar Farms Crumbles. I try to stay away from Morningstar Farms products (as much as I love their fake Sweet and Sour Chicken) to avoid GMOs but I'll occasionally use the crumbles as a substitute for meat when we're eating tacos. I loved the zestiness of the salsa "dressing" and the crunch from the tortilla chips, too.
As for the Little Ones...let's just say that they weren't as enthusiastic about the salad as I would've hoped. There are some ingredients they just do not want to mix at this age, and I need to be less impatient when it comes to their eating habits. They picked out of the salad the ingredients they liked: corn, cheese, olives, tortilla crumbles. They reluctantly tried the turkey and beans and then ate more. Both avoided the spinach leaves like the Green Plague. I guess I'll need to make green cupcakes whenever I want them to eat spinach (thanks, A Little Nosh!)
| Adding some corn...we used Trader Joe's canned version. |
| Finishing touches...it looks beautiful but will he eat it? |
The beauty of a recipe like this is its flexibility. I didn't have all of the ingredients listed in the book, so we improvised. The Carnivore and I brainstormed other ingredients we could add to future taco salads: avocado slices, for example. I'm discovering that the best kinds of meals for our particular family are ones that allow each of us to tweak them to our liking: meat for the Carnivore, veggies for me, and whatever else the LOs happen to like on that particular day.
I'm looking for suggestions. Do you have a "family" or "kids" cookbook that you really enjoy?
Thanks for reading and "like" me on Facebook for more eating adventures with our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear from you! Leave your comments here and happy eating!