3/20/12

Truffle Mac and Cheese? Yes, Please! at Noodles and Company


Please try this Truffle Mac and Cheese.  The photo does not do it justice.

Normally I do not eat at a family-friendly restaurant without the enthusiastic company of my two Little Ones.  If I’m lucky, I go with other mom friends and their brood for back-up or I have the Carnivore there for support.  More often, it’s just us three and I’m so focused on mentally planning an escape route in the event of a meltdown or plotting what to do when one of us needs a restroom, I can barely enjoy my meal.   

Yesterday was different.  Decadently different.  March is National Noodles Month (I never knew there was an entire month dedicated to one of my favorite foods!) and I was invited to participate in a sit-down with Noodles and Company executive chef and dietician Tessa Stamper as well as communications manager Mandy Melby at the Woodley Park restaurant in DC.  Alone.  Without any little ones who needed their food cut or faces wiped or drinks mopped off their clothes.  Not that I don’t love eating with my children and experiencing at close range how much they enjoy food.  But it felt like such a luxury to have an hour to myself (thanks, Grammy!!) to sample some of Noodles and Company’s tastiest dishes.

Noodles and Company logo, pilfered from their website


I arrived ten minutes late, even though I gave myself an hour to get there, thanks to brutal DC traffic.  I also realized too late I had about $0.27 in my purse and the meters downtown allot about 1 minute per quarter.  So, I jammed whatever I had into the meter and prayed for the best. 
                
Tessa and Mandy, who were extremely friendly and passionate about their work, asked me if I’d ever eaten at a Noodles and Company before.  We’ve gone to the restaurant on Main Street in Fairfax as well as the one close to Jammin’ Java in Vienna (after a kids’ show, of course), so I was able to rattle off a number of dishes we’ve tried, included Penne Rosa, Pesto Cavatappi, and Wisconsin Mac and Cheese.  The Carnivore is a huge fan of their Thai Curry Soup.  I mentioned that for a family like ours, with a vegetarian, a meat-eater, and two kids with fluctuating tastes, Noodles and Company is the perfect fast food restaurant.  It offers something for each one of us and allows us to customize our dishes (adding chicken or tofu, for example) as desired. 
                
In the interest of sampling dishes I hadn’t tried, they suggested Truffle Mac and Cheese, Thai Curry Soup, Japanese Pan Noodles, and their Veggie Med Sandwich (which can also be made with grilled chicken).  Tessa mentioned that the founding chef of Noodles and Company was a vegetarian who later became a vegan, so he felt it was important to have options for diners who don’t eat meat.  

I first tried the Truffle Mac and Cheese, what Tessa affectionately calls her "baby".  She created it last year and Noodles and Company offered it on a limited basis.  Diners loved it so much it became a regular item on the menu.  I can absolutely understand why.  With truffle-infused cheese sauce, Parmesan topping, and crunchy bread crumbs, it was a gourmet version of the classic comfort food.  This wasn't my kids' mac and cheese.  This was "Mommy's going to need a few minutes alone to devour this heavenly concoction so please try not to poke yourself with that straw" mac and cheese.  

I probably would have been fine eating just this dish but I had the "unfortunate" task of sampling other menu items.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Veggie Med sandwich comes in at 300 calories but is big on flavor, thanks to the feta, mushrooms, and cilantro.  It also comes with a tzatziki sauce that has just the right amount of heat; I like spicy but not fiery hot.

I moved onto the Thai Curry Soup, which the Carnivore orders almost every time we've gone.  I've never tried it before, thinking it was not going to appeal to me.  I was so wrong.  From first whiff of the delightful curry through every spoonful of the creamy soup, I was impressed.  Chef Tessa noted that it contains 30 different ingredients imported from Thailand.  Like the tzatziki sauce, there was the perfect amount of heat; Tessa said the coconut milk mutes the spice.
Thai Curry Soup...my surprise favorite of the four dishes I sampled


Last up were the Japanese Pan Noodles.  These are made with a proprietary Udon noodle and molasses and brown sugar that carmelize for a deep, sweet flavor.  These were tasty and one of Tessa's favorite dishes, but I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of sweet noodle dishes.  I can definitely see the appeal but I prefer savory noodles.  I did enjoy the toastiness of the black sesame seeds and the noodles themselves were delicious.

Japanese Pan Noodles


Tessa and Mandy also pointed out a neat feature on the Noodles and Company website, which highlights all of the menu items that are 500 calories or less. You can also use the site's Sorter to find dishes that meet specific dietary needs.  For example, if you're following a low-sodium diet, the Sorter lists twelve dishes (all small sizes) that contain 700 mg of sodium or less.  

I asked Tessa and Mandy for advice about expanding a little one's palate, via the Noodles and Company menu.  Tessa recommended starting with a familiar favorite like Wisconsin Mac and Cheese and adding one of the 14 fresh veggies on the menu.  Broccoli is a common add-in.  She also noted that kids enjoy the Pesto Cavatappi because of the curly noodles but added that any kind of noodle can be substituted in any dish.  

Mandy, a mother of two, emphasized the importance of letting kids pick and choose what they want off of the menu, including which veggies to add in.  With Noodles and Company's 100% guarantee, there's no risk.  If the kids (or grown-ups) don't like what they've picked, they can select another dish.  Mandy likes to order a regular portion and have it divided onto two small dishes so she can share with her children.  When her kids see her eating something, they are more likely to try it themselves.  

Admittedly, I walked into this experience already enjoying the food at Noodles and Company and knowing my kids like their food, too.  But it is important to note that for fast food, this restaurant is on the pricier side.  If you're on a budget like we are, you won't be able to eat here regularly.  A regular portion of the Truffle Mac and Cheese costs $7.95 while a small portion is $6.95. Our family could rack up a bill of $20.45 by ordering small portions of some of our favorites (Thai Curry Soup, Wisconsin Mac and Cheese, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and Truffle Mac and Cheese) before drinks.   Of course, this is fast food is more "gourmet" than establishments like McDonald's but you'll need to decide if the price is right for your family.

Also, as the Carnivore pointed out, many of our favorite dishes are high in sodium and fat.  For example, a regular portion of that delectable Thai Curry Soup contains 1900 mg of sodium and 18 grams of fat (13 grams are saturated fat).  A regular dish of the Japanese Pan Noodles contains 2200 mg of sodium.  The Sorter on their website can point you in the direction of lower-sodium, lower-fat options and simply choosing a small portion can cut these values in half.  You'll need to do your homework via their nutrition chart to ensure you're selecting options that are right for you and your family based on your dietary needs.

I left Noodles and Company wanting to come back with the crew for another taste of that soup (now I know I need to order a small portion).  And luckily, even though my meter had long run out, I didn't get a ticket.  Well-fed and ticket-free, I headed home refreshed and ready to wipe faces and spills once more. 

Thanks for reading and check me out on Facebook for more adventures in eating with kids in Northern Virginia.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your comments here and happy eating!